• Weed control for native and invasive weeds.
• Ditch studies to determine flow rate and concentration of chemicals.
• Ditch filters to remove phosphorus coming into the lake.
• Dredging low areas of the lake.
• Phos Lock for lake bottom phosphorus containment.
• Aeration to break down organic material and increase oxygen levels.
• Dam maintenance, repair and liability.
• Lake of the Woods Property Owners Board currently is working without an operating budget to cover any of the above lake needs and issues.
• The Lake of the Woods Property Owners Association board relies soley on grants, donations, fund raising events, LOW POA annual dues, and donations from the Bremen Conservation Club, Lake Restoration Committee and others.
• Saving the lake!
On Water residents only including the channels, this is a total of 289 residents. This included property on the water and any future houses built on lots on the water. 289 on lake residents including the channels will be included in the Conservancy District. These on water residents will benefit the most from the Conservancy efforts to remove chemical from the lake. Off-lake residents are not included in the conservancy district, but can join if they choose too?
• Increased property value.
• All Conservancy annual contributions are 100% tax deductible.
• Increased lake water quality.
• Reduced weeds and maintenance.
• Less chemicals entering the lake.
Through special property tax. An assessed value of a lake owner’s property with a rate determined by the County Assessor Office.
A lake study will be needed to determine the exact percentages for each ditch.
Based on previous studies The four ditches in the North are the worst contributors of phosphorus entering the lake through the ditches.
• Lake of the Woods Property Owners Association Board.
• Lake Restoration Committee.
• Concerned Lake of the Woods property owners and residents.
Sign the petition for the creation of the Lake of the Woods Conservancy District. Petition the Marshall County Circuit Court to establish a Conservancy District for Lake of the Woods.
• By signing the petition for a conservancy, you are advocating to form a Conservancy District for Lake of the Woods and pay annually to support the Lake of the Woods Conservancy District.
• All of the Conservancy funding can only be used for lake projects and falls into nine categories. The main three categories for Lake of the Woods are lake quality and water quality, repairing and reversing the chemical entering the lake and weed spraying. Dam repairs and liability.
• It will take 6-12 months for the Conservancy District board to be formed and appointed by the Court.
• After the initial appointment by the court each member will be elected by the Conservancy District membership.
When the Conservancy District is formed it will take two years before the funds are available for any projects.
The County Assessor will determine the rate based on the annual budget submitted by the Lake of the Woods Conservancy District Board.